Sunday, March 20, 2011

Which RV is best for me?

This letter to Chuck Woodbury came from Hector Rodriguez:

Hi Chuck,
Just watched your webcast for the first time. I wanted to ask you few questions that I always ask everyone with RVs. If you had to do it all over again, which way would you go? Class A motorhome or fifth wheeler? Diesel pusher or gas? Full time or part time RVing? I want to sell my home and buy a decent RV but a little scared about that. I have never owned an RV and am not sure what to expect. I have about a million questions, but I don't think you want to answer them all. I liked the webcast.

Hector,
I have always been happy with my Class C motorhome. I have a 2008, 24-foot Winnebago View which is on a Dodge Sprinter chassis with Mercedes diesel engine. I owned two motorhomes before, both Class C's, roughly the same size. I tend to keep my RVs for a long time. That's my RV in the photo (taken at Saguaro National Park in southern Arizona). Watch this video in which I provide a short tour of my motorhome.

The Class C type motorhome works well for me. I am happy with the size, which is small enough to fit into almost all campgrounds. I prefer public campgrounds -- those in state parks and national forests: almost all of them will accommodate an RV of my size. Once you get above 28 feet you begin to limit your camping opportunities. My wild guess is that up to 32-35 feet you will still get into three-quarter of the public campgrounds. Commercial RV parks will generally accommodate larger rigs.

The Class C suits me because I move around a lot. I seldom stay in a place more than two or three days. If I were the type of RVer who stayed put for a week or more at a time, then I believe a trailer or fifth wheel would be better because you can park it and then have a car or truck to drive to the store, around town or for a day trip through the countryside. I don't pull a car behind my motorhome, but many RVers who travel a lot do. If you don't bring along a car then you need to pack up the motorhome to drive to the general store for supplies. I carry a small folding electric bicycle that enables me to easily explore places within five miles or so of my campground. Sometimes I bring along my mountain bicycle. I sometimes I wish I had a car, but overall I prefer to be a little inconvenienced than hassle with pulling something.

Another reason I prefer the shorter motorhome with no towed car is that I can move around easier when I am "on the road." It's easier to find parking places, stop along the road to snap a photo, and maneuver on city streets.

It would be tight for me to full-time in my little motorhome, whether alone or with a partner. But I have run across many people full-timing in units the size of mine or even smaller. But generally speaking, full-timers go for travel trailers, fifth wheel trailers or Class A motorhomes, usually in the mid 30-foot range or longer. Class A motorhomes are usually (but not always) larger than Class C's, and can carry more weight. Their holding tanks are larger -- so more onboard water and fewer runs to the dump station. They almost always have larger fuel tanks, so less stopping to fill up.

Diesel or gas? That's too big a subject for here. I suggest you visit RVbookstore.com and get the DVD I host for the Better Business Bureau called "Buying a Recreational Vehicle." It addresses all the questions you asked here very well including the diesel vs. gasoline question. Check with your local library to see if its there. Or buy it from RVbookstore.com.

Make sure you are signed up for my RVtravel.com newsletter and keep watching my weekly webcasts. You will learn a lot.

I hope I have helped you a little bit here.

8 Comments:

At March 20, 2011 at 12:24 PM , Blogger Hector Rodriguez said...

Thank you Chuck, you were very helpful and I will try to get the video. I still have some time -about a year our two - to decide but my wife and I are very serious about this, just waiting for the kids to move out of the house. Thanks again for all your help.

Hector

 
At March 26, 2011 at 11:23 AM , Blogger Concerned Public said...

Thanks from me also Chuck. We've been through the pop-ups, travel trailers, and Class A route. We just sold our Class A and I'm seriously thinking of buying another RV as I approach semi-retirement. My wife and I travel with two small dogs and we found that we loved the Class A b/c of the space but I'll agree that it can be hard to find a space sometimes that will accomodate it (at a reasonable price). You gave me a little food for thought on the Class C if I only knew the "4" of us would have enough room. My issue with the Class C vs Class A is that you many times spend the same $$$ for either but get more view, space, etc from the Class A. That's my beef.

Again, thanks for the post!!!!
Mike & Cindy Dunlap

 
At March 26, 2011 at 12:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chuck, enjoied your response in the article. We have settled on a 22 foot trailer, hoping to purchase it in April or early May.

 
At March 26, 2011 at 2:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I have been full timing in my class A for 3 years and half timing for 5 years before that.
Back in the late sixtys I started with a tent trailer, then a slide in camper on a Toyota pickup, and a few van conversions.
We have put almost 90,000 miles on this Class A diesel and for us it has been by far the best.
we have room to be together or apart, a real shower and bathroom, a queen bed, 2 TVs and all the comforts of home.
Like you and Dave we sometimes do not emerge from the motorhome for days.

 
At March 26, 2011 at 2:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bigger question is - what are you going to do in your home? My in-laws had a 28 foot long Class C that they drove 8 weeks a year. It was perfect for them AND for those of us that were able to get away for a week or two and meet them someplace along the way - sometimes 2 adults and 2 kids extra. They went to Alaska several times and circled the lower 48 many more. 18 years! My wife and I have a 40 foot Class A diesel pusher. We've spent 18 of the last 24 months in it plus a couple of other shorter trips over the last 6 years. Sometimes traveling, sometimes sitting in one place. And while we've had some company, it really sleeps 2. It comes down to - what's right for one is exactly wrong for another. Rent and try before you buy.

 
At March 27, 2011 at 6:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a class B Pleasure-Way van and absolutely LOVE it. Perfect for travel, sightseeing, moving from one place to another, good on gas, and you can put this 20 footer anywhere. Plus the bed is wonderful and we sleep soundly anywhere!

 
At March 28, 2011 at 7:53 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

over the years my wife and I have done tentcamping in a two man mountain tent/packed into a Porsche 914(small) for a month on our honeymoon, had a 22 ft Sunline trailer when raising 3 kids , had a tent attached to the bed of our DodgeRam truck(fun), and now have a 2003 TRailite class A(29 ft)-I have had no problems maneuvering the class A in restaurant parking lots, downtowns or campgrounds and wouldnt trade it for the aforementioned options-my advice is try them all until you find your dream!

 
At March 30, 2011 at 1:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Chuck, My wife and I have had a few Class C motor homes and I prefer it over a Class A. Ours is a 29 foot with a slide out on the street side and a full size bed in the back. It is great having that little extra room with the slide. We have traveled with my 3 sons even now that they are adults and there has been enough room but a little cozy, but we still have fun. The cab over bed is nice as they will lay up there and be able to part of the conversation or do what they want. Same goes for the bed in the back. Over all I like to have the sleeping areas for the boys when we do travel with them. If we have only one he sleeps "upstairs" or with 2 we only have to convert the couch to a bed and we can leave the table set up.In a class A you have to convert both for sleeping.

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. It will appear shortly: we look at each one before making it live to keep away the spammers.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home